The use of herbs to treat ailments as malaria or neuro-degenerative conditions can be traced back to ancient times. Today, medical practitioners may prescribe herbs such as the use of Garlic, cloves or cinnamon to counter resistance to conventional drugs, immunodeficiency conditions as HIV or during age-related therapies.
Herbal medications occur in many forms depending on your preference. You can find them in powder, juices, creams, shampoos, whole plant or even oils. At first, I never believed that herbal treatment was effective in treating infections but after reading articles on Traditional Chinese Medicine and how it has contributed to modern medication, I changed my mind. I have actually embraced and integrated herbs as my first line of medication. Whenever I have a common cold, a concoction of ginger, lemon and garlic is my quickest therapy.
Here are 10 benefits of herbs and how they are effective in treatment:
- Cloves contain tonnes of unique nutrition. They are incredibly full of health benefits despite its small size. Other than been stacked with minerals, proteins, and vitamins, they are full of antioxidants, antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and analgesic properties. These are exact elements that the body requires. Cloves can temporarily reduce toothaches if dabbed in affected tooth, can be ingested to improve digestion and treat upper respiratory infections. I want to improve your intimacy, cloves can be your natural remedy in tackling erectile dysfunction.
- Garlic has a wide range of benefits like cure of lung infections, gingivitis, colds and flu, and acne treatment. If you have bad breath or just want to go for a date with your mouth smelling good, garlic can be your partner as a treatment for halitosis. Garlic also contains allicin which helps tackle fungi, parasites, and bacteria. Therefore if used as a lotion, it can help relieve skin ailments like eczema, athlete’s foot, skin aging and hair loss. Garlic’s antioxidant and immune properties reduce predisposing factors of cardiovascular infections and colorectal cancer by lowering the bad cholesterol (LDL) and boosting immunity.
- Wormwood is that wonder herb that is full of artemisinin. A vital, curing component present in anti-malarial drugs. So with it in your garden, you basically have a free malaria drug that can also double up as an anti-parasite expelling pinworms and roundworms from your system thereby improving your mood. Studies have shown that wormwood can help fight cancerous breast cells by dealing with it just like it deals with malaria parasites. For Crohn’s disease patients, inculcating wormwood can reduce or entirely eliminate the need for steroids. Furthermore, due to the antifungal and antibacterial abilities, wormwood may help cure reproductive infections such as urinary tract infections (UTIs), salmonellosis and candidiasis.
- Lemon as a fruit is routinely served in many restaurants. It’s hard not to see why. Other than many mineral and vitamins it contains, it can be also be used as a flavor. Ascorbic acid present in Lemons has been shown to help improve skin quality and prevent wrinkling according to a study done by American Society for Clinical Nutrition. Further, vitamin C is beneficial as of reducing risks associated with heart diseases and high blood pressure. If you decide to add lemon as your water flavor, it can contribute to your skin health by improving taste and keeping your skin hydrated. Its antioxidant elements help rid the body of toxins and preventing insulin resistance. Studies conducted by UW Health shows that citric acid found in lemon help in destroy kidney stones. Lemon can also be used for treating flu, fevers and to generally enhance moods through norepinephrine release.
- Cinnamon has astonishing nutritive and therapeutic uses. It aids in treating type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular ailments by increasing cholesterol (HDL). Its antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties can cure lung problems, common cold, headaches and bronchitis when used with other remedies. Research has also shown that its extract might be useful in managing HIV virus, polycystic ovarian syndrome and heavy menstrual periods in women suffering from endometriosis or menorrhagia.
- Turmeric has been used in species for thousands of years especially in India. Turmeric has been found to contain 3 grams of curcumin in every 100g of turmeric. Curcumin has an array of medicinal uses mainly because of its anti-inflammatory effect and anti-oxidation properties. Because curcumin is not efficiently absorbed by the body, it is recommended that turmeric is specified with black pepper which contains an absorption agent called piperine. This way you can enjoy the many benefits of turmeric. For example, curcumin prevents degenerative conditions and help reduce depression by increasing a hormone called Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF). This also helps prevent Alzheimer. Its anti-inflammatory properties also reverse the development of heart diseases.
- Aloe Vera is available as a gel, latex or juice and has been shown to have various nutritive and health advantages. The gel is a medication for sunburns, psoriasis, asthma, and stomach ulcers. The latex is a medication for osteoarthritis, diabetes depression, and constipation. Aloe’s juice is a rich source of vitamins and is also an antioxidant.
- There are two varieties of Ginseng herbs. The American and the Asian ginseng but the bottom line is both of them promotes human well being by acting as a source of energy, boosting immunity, treating diabetes and in other situations can be used to manage erectile dysfunction in men. It is what is called ginsenosides found in this herb that is associated with all these health benefits. Studies show that ginseng is particularly helpful for cancer patients undergoing treatment as it tends to boost their energy levels. It also has therapeutic effects in lowering blood sugar and cholesterol, stress reduction, influenza and the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections.
- Ginger is one of those potent, healthy and sometimes delicious spices around. It is the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory organic compound called gingerol that gives this wonderful spice its medicinal properties. Ginger is known as an effective and natural treatment of nausea especially for cancer patients or those from surgeries. A small dose-about 1.1g can suppress vomiting even for pregnant women. Other ginger uses include cure of indigestion, stomach ulcers and preventing the growth of tumor cells.
Milk thistle aids in digestion, lowering blood cholesterol, increase bile secretion, detoxification of the body and skin therapy.